Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardeniarose_gw

Please help!!

gardeniarose
14 years ago

I have hibiscus (rosa-sinensis) seedlings in the ground that are about 6-9 months old. About a month ago one of them started getting yellow leaves and dropping them at an alarming rate. All the affected leaves were all along only one stem. Eventually that stem went yellow and I cut it way back near the base. Then a neighboring stem on same plant did the same thing. Now a THIRD stem is being affected and today I noticed that a seedling growing about 3 feet away is being affected! I am assuming this is either bacterial, viral or fungal. We have had tons of rain for the past couple of months and it's been very hot. What could this be? I am so afraid this will eventually spread and wipe out all my plants (I breed hibiscus). Will try to post pics. Thanks!!

Comments (2)

• beachbarbie
    14 years ago

Sounds like it is viral, but I don't know if there's a cure.
    Cutting off the affected areas is the right thing to do. I'll see if I can't find some more info for you.
    Barb

• gardeniarose
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OK, don't know where my post went. Thank you Barb, for your reply. I responded that I think it may be phytophthora, a fungal soil disease brought on from too much rain. Someone emailed me the symptoms and he also looked at my pictures and he seems to think it is this fungus. Which virus were you thinking it could be?

Sponsored