Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jameya

help with new tree..

jameya
9 years ago

Hello i went to a store and found a good sale on plants. I found one jane cowll i think it is and got it spur of the moment. It has a small bit of new growth on the bottom of the trunk, and the trunk looks green, but on the top part, where the flowers and smaller branches are, it looks a bit woody and dry if that makes sense. I repotted it and used miricle grow and added a bit of oscmote fertlizer into the soil. I didnt cut the roots or anything and some were growing in a circle. I carefully just got most of them untangled without breaking any off. I also trimmed off the small stems that were broken, or looked dead with no growth. Im going to add a couple pictures of it.
Is there anything i should do, to make it look a bit better, or make it healthier?? Any advice would be great as i am new to the whole plant thing, and was hoping with some tlc this will bounce back, but im not sure what kind of tlc it needs...

Comments (7)

• jameya
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is another picture of it, not sure if you can see what im talking about where the small branches look like wood or dried out almost...

• ampa62
    9 years ago

Hello Jameya,

I also have a Hibiscus (now with about 15-20 yrs).
    In the first 3 years it did not growth more than 30/40 cm, because it was not in an open sun area.
    Give it lots of sun and protect it from cold winter (here I never have snow).
    Maybe it will grow better not being in the pot.

Regards.

• jameya
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I cant put it in the ground because it does get cold and snow here. I dont know anything about them, but shouldnt it be a bit more fuller then that and have more leaves?? They kept it in an open parking lot, but im sure they didnt water it like they should have. I have it in full sun right now, but i didnt trim the roots. I have no clue to what i am doing, but i would think it should have more leaves on it, and im kinda worried about some of the smaller branches look kind of dry, or brittle. Not sure if they are normally like that or what. Id like to try and keep it alive and i plan on getting special lights for it this winter, if it makes it.
    How often should i water it??

• ampa62
    9 years ago

Hello Jameya,

Tomorrow I will take a picture of my hibiscus. You will see that it is not full of leaves. You should cut old branches.
    I really donôt have great concern about watering (but climate here is more moderate and rainy).
    I found a interesting site that will be very helpful for you: http://hibiscus-sinensis.com/care.

• jameya
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the link..i will read up on it. I would LOVE to see picutres of your tree!! I can not believe it can live that long..that is great..i am already trying to think ahead to winter and get an idea of what to do with this one. I am thinking about buying a small bulb that will give it a bit more sun and help then just a window. Any ideas on what kind of bulb i might need?? I already have an old 20 gallon fish tank hood that i could buy a special bulb for and maybe that will be better then just sitting it by a window.

I was thinking they would be a bit more bushy. I keep calling it my poor charlie brown christmas tree. Lol

• ampa62
    9 years ago

The first photo.

• ampa62
    9 years ago

.....and the flowers. As you can see we are already in summer and most leaves are only now appearing.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths