Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zookeeperinwa

Hardy Hibiscus breaking off at root

zookeeperinwa
11 years ago

I have a hardy hibiscus although I can't tell you what variety it is. It was a seedling from an older plant that my mom gave me. This is the second summer I have had it and I am sure I am going to lose it.

Day after day I go out and I find branches wilting. They break off down in the ground. I bring them in and put them in water and they begin developing what I think are roots.

I don't understand what is going on with this plant since it performed beautifully last summer. I do know that at the beginning of the summer my neighbors were letting their small children pick my flowers. At first I thought they were damaging this plant also, but I don't want to confront them if there is another explanation. Our area is having some high winds that I suppose could be damaging the plant.

Can anyone tell me why the branches of this plant are slowly one by one breaking off at the root?

Comments (2)

• HU-8450319854021563
    5 years ago

I have the same problem . My two hardy hibiscus were both looking great. But over the last two weeks I have lost two of the branches, both of them breaking off down in the ground. I don't see any sort of bugs on them, I looked around in the soil and don't see any there either. Could it just be from wind ? The other plant only several feet away has done fine up until this point. Not sure what it is, therefore not sure what I can do to not lose these plants.

• gardenchloe
    5 years ago

It also happened to my plum crazy. I picked up the broken branch and saw some roots so I planted it back to the ground. All the big leaves dried off but the small ones made it. I know hardy hibiscuses need to be watered,so I took extra care of it by watering more. A week later, I saw new growth from the other side of the root. Now both the broken branch and the new growth are doing well. I think it was the wind that caused the branch to break but it could have been my daughter as well.