Return to the Hibiscus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Variegated Hibiscus

Posted by TXGrace TX (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 28, 13 at 16:15

Hello everyone. I live in TX, I believe we are in zone 9 or 10. I have a couple of variegated hibiscus (mix of red, green, yellow & white leaves). On one of the plants, the leaves are turning mostly green. I don't know what I did to remove the variegation. Does anyone know if the variegation can be brought back? I called my local nursery where I purchased the plant and so far they have no idea of how to fix it. If anyone has any answers, I would greatly appreciate it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Variegated Hibiscus

Do you know the species of your Hibiscus? What color are the blooms? A picture would sure come in handy for attempting to make an ID. It would also help to know if they are in containers, amount of sun\shade received daily, soil conditions, type of fertilizer being applied.

One tropical Hibiscus I know of that has variegated foliage is Hibiscus rosa-sinensis 'Cooperii'...see link below. Does it look familiar?

Here is a link that might be useful: Hibiscus rosa-sinensis 'Cooperii'

o

Hi tulsarose! Thank you for responding. I've enclosed a picture of my variegated hibiscus. It looks a lot like the cooperii. I just purchased this plant and put it in the ground a few days after I purchased it. It receives sun for most of the day. Our soil here is sandy clay, so I actually mixed in some humus. I have two of these plants and the other one has kept its varigation. This one I'm asking about still has some but most of the leaves have turned green. I haven't fertilized it at all. It's been so hot here in Houston recently I was afraid I would burn it.

o

Hi tulsarose! Thank you for responding. I've enclosed a picture of my variegated hibiscus. It looks a lot like the cooperii. I just purchased this plant and put it in the ground a few days after I purchased it. It receives sun for most of the day. Our soil here is sandy clay, so I actually mixed in some humus. I have two of these plants and the other one has kept its varigation. This one I'm asking about still has some but most of the leaves have turned green. I haven't fertilized it at all. It's been so hot here in Houston recently I was afraid I would burn it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hibiscus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here