Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
txgrace_gw

Variegated Hibiscus

TXGrace
10 years ago

Hello everyone. I live in TX, I believe we are in zone 9 or 10. I have a couple of variegated hibiscus (mix of red, green, yellow & white leaves). On one of the plants, the leaves are turning mostly green. I don't know what I did to remove the variegation. Does anyone know if the variegation can be brought back? I called my local nursery where I purchased the plant and so far they have no idea of how to fix it. If anyone has any answers, I would greatly appreciate it.

Comments (3)

• TulsaRose
    10 years ago

Do you know the species of your Hibiscus? What color are the blooms? A picture would sure come in handy for attempting to make an ID. It would also help to know if they are in containers, amount of sun\shade received daily, soil conditions, type of fertilizer being applied.

One tropical Hibiscus I know of that has variegated foliage is Hibiscus rosa-sinensis 'Cooperii'...see link below. Does it look familiar?

Here is a link that might be useful: Hibiscus rosa-sinensis 'Cooperii'

• TXGrace
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi tulsarose! Thank you for responding. I've enclosed a picture of my variegated hibiscus. It looks a lot like the cooperii. I just purchased this plant and put it in the ground a few days after I purchased it. It receives sun for most of the day. Our soil here is sandy clay, so I actually mixed in some humus. I have two of these plants and the other one has kept its varigation. This one I'm asking about still has some but most of the leaves have turned green. I haven't fertilized it at all. It's been so hot here in Houston recently I was afraid I would burn it.

• TXGrace
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi tulsarose! Thank you for responding. I've enclosed a picture of my variegated hibiscus. It looks a lot like the cooperii. I just purchased this plant and put it in the ground a few days after I purchased it. It receives sun for most of the day. Our soil here is sandy clay, so I actually mixed in some humus. I have two of these plants and the other one has kept its varigation. This one I'm asking about still has some but most of the leaves have turned green. I haven't fertilized it at all. It's been so hot here in Houston recently I was afraid I would burn it.

{{!gwi}}

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm