Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
abacoian

swamp hibiscus bloom?

abacoian
14 years ago

I'm so excited, my hibiscus coccineus has it's first bloom but it's been raining for days, do you think it will bloom?

Comments (8)

• abacoian
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It bloomed and it was so beautiful. But it closed up before I got home from work and it dropped off today. Do they only usually bloom for one day or did it maybe get too much rain?

• shpnquen
    14 years ago

The blooms on my hibiscus only last a day. Seems really sad that such a large, beautiful bloom has short life.

• wally_1936
    14 years ago

The blooms only last a day and all Hibiscus. As for rain they seem to enjoy plenty of moisture that is why they are called swamp hibiscus.

• abacoian
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here are a few pictures, it finally bloomed, it's so pretty

Here is a link that might be useful: photos

• palmfan
    14 years ago

It sure is a beauty! Have you tried growing the white variety? It may be even more lovely than its red cousin! Its foliage is a different shade of green. It self sows readily with seedlings that appear to be true to type. Truly an exquisite plant!

• abacoian
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I didn't even know there was a white one. What's the name of it? Do you have any seeds?

• givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago

Beautiful!

Lucy

• palmfan
    14 years ago

Be glad to provide seeds of the white form, sometimes called 'White Texas Star' or 'Swamp Angel'. Contact me at: jrandjimr@comcast.net as I can't access the msn account. Not sure if still have last year's seed, but probably do. Otherwise, I'll have plenty in the fall. The lovely white form is a real winner for foliage AND flowers!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!