Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
desirai_gw

H. syriacus too top heavy

Desirai
9 years ago

I have an h. syriacus in full sun. It has grown as tall as me, and is so wide I can't wrap my arms around it.

Unfortunately, it has become so heavy it has fallen completely over.

I got a metal stake and tried to stake it up, but still.. it's so heavy and it is unsightly and I feel bad for it!!

Is right now not a good time to give it a bit of a prune??

Is there anything I can do for it?

Comments (2)

• highlandernorth
    9 years ago

I dont remember the variety, but several years ago(maybe 7-8?) I bought 2 of the non-tropical, deciduous type hibiscus plants in pots from a local nursery, with one of them advertised as red flowered and the other pink flowered. Aside from that, I believe they were essentially the same variety, or very similar.

When I bought them there were maybe 4-5 stems per plant in the pots, about 3.5' tall. But after planting them, the second season there were about maybe 10 stems that grew from each plant base and produced some VERY large flowers, with the pink flowers being as large as 12" in diameter. The reds were a little smaller at about 8-9".

The following year, they produced about 25 or more stems per plant, and each stem wouldnt just produce flowers from the tops, they also grew lateral branches that produced many more flowers! They were now getting over 4 feet tall, but the stems were actually closer to 6-7 feet long, but what happened was they were so thick and heavy that they'd grow upward, then fall over, then start growing upward again, so that each plant was about 4-5 feet tall and since they fell over outwards before growing up again, the entire plant would appear to be about 8-10 feet in diameter! But we had grown the two of them about 5-6 feet apart, so they grew together somewhat, but what became a problem was that they grew out onto the sidewalk and driveway, so I was asked to dig them up, which I did, but they died when I transplanted them about 5 years ago.

Then about 1-2 years later, we start getting hibiscus plants popping up from the lateral roots that these things had grown, but which had broken off when digging them up. But we had even more seedlings popping up here and there in the same beds, but also in other beds. So I decided to allow 3 of them to grow in 2 beds, further away from the drive and sidewalks. Now there are about 3 of them growing. These things will produce as many as hundreds of flowers per plant, and they continue to bloom for well over a month, significantly longer than other common deciduous type hibiscus.

Bottom line is that I have to stake some of the branches. I typically drive a couple stakes near the center of the plant, deep into the ground for strength, then I will tie stings from near the tops of the stakes to the branches that grow furthest away from the center, so that they tend to stay off the ground, but mostly I use the stakes to ensure that the more central stems will stay as upright as possible to fill in any gaps in the center, because the longer stems grew further outward. It seems to keep them looking symmetrical, and doesnt require too much work.

• highlandernorth
    9 years ago

Just remembered, I also planted a Rose of Sharon on that same property about 6 years ago, and it grown from 3 feet tall and 12" diameter in the pot, to about 12 feet tall and 8-9 feet in diameter and very thick, which causes some branches to start falling over when they bloom. It gets lots of sun and its very symmetrical and very thick. I havent tried staking it yet.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor