Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greyghost61

Zone 8b hibiscus

greyghost61
11 years ago

I live in zone 8b south Ga and I have both so called hardy hibiscus and tropical hibiscus in the ground. Each year they both die back, just before the die back I prune the tropicals to the ground and cover with mulch. Both come back each year. Here is my question, my tropical hibiscus come back healthier and pretty much bug resistant whereas the so called hardy hibiscus come back very leggy and plagued with bugs all year, why do my tropicals do better in zone 8b than my hardy ones? I am on the verge of getting rid of my hardy hibiscus and just go with tropicals that the box stores sale as annuals for 30 or so dollars a flat. Has anyone else run into this situation? I am not complaining, mind you, I prefer the tropical hibiscus, I am just mildly suprised at this situation.

Comments (3)

• aharriedmom
    11 years ago

I can't answer your question but I have a question for you since you're the same zone. I'm just south of the Georgia line near I-75.

In what exposure do you have your tropical hibiscus planted? (winter & summer sun) I just bought one a few weeks ago, on sale at Lowe's. I had potted it since I expected it to die over the winter but I'll happily put it in the ground if there is a chance it will come back next year.

• greyghost61
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry it took so long to get back to you, they are planted with a south east exposure in the summer, good bit of sunlight, heat and humidity.

• wally_1936
    11 years ago

Well my hardy hibiscus come back late but have never had a problem other than that. My Texas Star Hibiscus are just over a foot tall so far. I do find the hardy hibiscus seem to only send up one trunk so if I want more I have to prune them early. Then there is my Confederate Rose Hibiscus that can get up to 30 foot tall and 6" across the base of the trunk.

This post was edited by wally-1936 on Thu, May 16, 13 at 1:10

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio