Thu, Jul 12, 07 at 17:14

Hi everyone.
Which Hibiscus is the most popular in Northern America,

Tropical Hibiscus-Rosa-sinensis?
or
Hibiscus Syriacus-Rose of Sharon?
or
Hardy Hibiscus-Moscheutos?
I wish all of you to be a very happy Hibiscus grower and thank for replies in advance.
Hala.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hibiscus popularity

Most popular, I'm not sure. Most used? In the Deep South, I think Rose of Sharon or as we call it, bush hollyhock, is most used. When I was growing up in the 1950s and 60s, almost every home in the city and every home or farm in the suburbs and country had a hollyhock bush. They were usually white, blue or purple with 5 petals. You could plant them and forget them.

o
RE: Hibiscus popularity

Hala,
In the NE, USA both Rose of SHaron (cold hardy) and Tropical hibiscus sell great.
People here bring in their tropicals for the winters and take them outside in the summer.
I have not seen Hardy hibiscus seeds or plants for sale too often in PA. I'm sure lots of people plant them inside over the winter to grow seedlings and then move them outside in the spring, I just don't think they are as popular as the other 2 varieties.
Hollyhock is not Rose of Sharon. Two different plants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hibiscus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here