Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jth507

Flowering seed pods????

jth507
17 years ago

Hi, I have a tropical hibiscus plant that has orange double flowers that I have been trying to produce seed from thru selfing. I thought I had been successful as seed pods started to develop and grow. To my suprise the "seed pod" split open and a second flower emerged after about a month. Is this normal? Has anyone ever heard of this happening? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jim

Comments (3)

• gardeniarose
    17 years ago

Jim,
    I also have an orange double trop. hibiscus that I tried crossing with another hibiscus. Someone told me that doubles rarely produce seed pods because of an improperly formed style. The furthest I ever got with mine was a seed pod that would drop prematurely and inside were immature seeds. What was inside the seed pod on your plant after it split open? Were the seeds blackish and did they have a hard coating (were they mature)? Did the 2nd flower grow from where the seed pod was? Not sure what you meant. By the way, my orange double has great pollen and I have about 30 seedlings that came from crosses with it and a variety with single flowers. The single plant is a great pod parent. Good luck!

• jth507
    Original Author
    17 years ago

There were no seeds inside the pod, the flower itself came out of the seed pod, and actually looks more like a carnation then a hibiscus flower. Anthers are present and there appears to be a stigma. Also, the flower has lasted for three days so far, rather then the typical one day. There are several of these on the plant, each coming from what at first appeared to be a fertilized seed pod. Always something new and interesting I guess.
    Jim

• beachbarbie
    17 years ago

It's fairly unusual, but not unheard of. It happened to my with my Lovely Lil once. It's just a wierd mutation thingy.
    Barb

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH