Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zodiac75

What kind of hibiscus and where can I plant it?

zodiac75
12 years ago

I bought this hibiscus plant at Walmart. I've figured out it's a double hibiscus. I've read conflicting information as to where I can plant it and how to care for it during the winter.

I'd like to put it in a flower bed but it would only get sun from early morning until early afternoon. Would it survive the winter if mulched? Would I be better off keeping it in a pot on the back deck in full sun and bringing it in during the winter?

Comments (3)

• TulsaRose
    12 years ago

The first thing you need to determine is the kind of Hibiscus you bought. You can read some good information and browse images at the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hibiscus & Malvaceae

• zodiac75
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It's salmon/orange and has double flowers. I know nothing about hibiscus and it's just sitting in a pot right now. I need to decide where I'm putting it.

• rosco_p
    12 years ago

ZAODIAC 75: What you are showing us in this photo is a TROPICAL HIBISCUS and it will not survive a winter outside in Zone 4. Leave it out for the summer and bring it in before frost to a sunny exposure. You will probably have a lot of leaf drop but in time it will adjust and if given enough light will reward you with some on/off blooming over the winter. Ross.