Return to the Hibiscus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hardy Hibiscus buds getting eaten

Posted by retroglamor NY (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 12, 07 at 17:35

Help! I was so excited that my hardy hibiscus came back with TWO big stalks this year and tons of buds. But I just came from admiring the soon-to-open buds and found that something has been eating them before they can open! It looks like something took a big chunk out of the flowr part, ripping open the bud. I don't see ANY insects or evidence of insects. Would a bird do that? We have lots of birds around here, but never had a problem with them eating hibiscus buds. ANy idea what that could be? ANd how to stop it before they eat all of them? I will cry if they don't bloom this year.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hardy Hibiscus buds getting eaten

Hi Ret...Could it be a bunny or squirrel? The squrriels been doing a job on my plants, or were before cicadas took over..Usally insects leave little holes in leaves/flowers.
There's a spray called Red Pepper/Cayenne, that's suppposed to keep wildlife away..I think MI Bulb sells it, at least that's where I got mine 2 yrs ago. Good luck..Toni

o

Check for japanese beetles. I have been fighting them off with soapy water sprayed on the whole plants. They do not seem to like the taste. Give it a shot.
Tracy

o

ME TOO!!! So if it's japanese beetles will the leaves look bad also? Seriously it's only the very tips of the plant where the buds are...it's just too sad cuz the blooms are sooooo pretty!!

o

FOR THE FIRST TIME IN 35 YEARS MY RED HIBISCUS WHICH IS PUT OUTSIDE EACH SPRING IS BEING ATTACKED BY I'M SURE NOT INSECTS BECAUSE THE BUDS ARE BEING CHISELED OUT AND PIECES FALL TO THE GROUND. THE BUDS ARE HIGH AND ON LOW BRANCHES. ONE FULLY OPENED FLOWER WAS RIPPED HALF IN SHREDS. THESE BUDS AND FLOWERS ARE NOT BEING EATEN.

o

I know grasshoppers sure love the buds but mine seem to love to just stay there and wait for the next bud to start to form. Sounds like you need to contact your local extension agent for more information in your area.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hibiscus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here