Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ann_in_houston

saving and transplanting a very old hibiscus

Ann_in_Houston
13 years ago

I have a beautiful camellia type cranberry colored hibiscus that is about twenty years old. It froze back to the ground this past winter and I thought it had died. I was sad to lose it but I thought it was a perfect opportunity to get rid of a trash tree of which I have no idea of the variety; but that had taken root right up next to the hibiscus and I had fears that if it really was a tree and not a bush, it would spell disaster for our foundation. I had always been afraid to attack it for fear of killing the hibiscus.

Now, it turns out the hibiscus is not dead. Still, I tried removing the dirt from around both plants so I could see the root system and kill off the bad tree. That is a bust, and I actually wonder if the 'trash tree' is a sport of the hibiscus after all.

The upshot is, I have pulled out the hibiscus. It only has the big roots that grow just under the soil- no little ones - and I want to keep it alive and put it somewhere else, or back in its spot once the offender is gone. How can I keep it alive and allow it to thrive when re-planted? Is there some method of replanting that would give it better chances of success.

I have not seen another one like this anywhere and don't want to lose it.

Comments (2)

• Ann_in_Houston
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the link but I couldn't find the link to the info about planting, as opposed to potting.
    I was thinking about using a root stimulator because all this plant has in the way of roots is the big ones that are just under the soil. I have it in some soil in a container for now. I just want to have some hope of success when I put it back in the ground.
    btw, the flower on this one is much like the picture in the forum ID on this page.

Sponsored