Return to the Hibiscus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how long b/f my hibiscus will look like a hibiscus

Posted by jeannejeanie 7 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 29, 07 at 17:52

so i bought the hardy hibiscus from michigan bulb this spring. when they arrived I was so disappointed they were just 2" sticks (3 of them) w/ little roots. so i planted them any way. now there is 1 small 8" plant in the area where the 3 sticks were planted. I really don't even know if this is the hibiscus or is it a big weed. it's flopping over (i've staked it) & keeps trying to curl down. my question is how long before i know if this is a hibiscus or a weed. when will it bloom? what can i do to help it mature faster. thank you all so much. i love the way these plants look & will try to root some cuttings in the fall but...i'm so impatient....lol ...thank you jeannie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how long b/f my hibiscus will look like a hibiscus

The hardy hibiscus can get floppy.
How much sun are yours getting. I know if they don't get enough, they can either try to aly down or "lean" towards the sun.
Have they bloomed yet?
Barb

o

they are getting full sun from morning until night but look like leggy overgrown giraffees ... no blooms but the leaves are definitely hibiscus .... they are now 18" tall 1/2" stems (diameter) barely any leaves ... do you think they need some fertilizer? ty...jeannie

o

At that size, you most likely will not see any bloom this year. Water and a little fertilizer, and let them grow.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hibiscus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here