Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeannejeanie_gw

how long b/f my hibiscus will look like a hibiscus

jeannejeanie
16 years ago

so i bought the hardy hibiscus from michigan bulb this spring. when they arrived I was so disappointed they were just 2" sticks (3 of them) w/ little roots. so i planted them any way. now there is 1 small 8" plant in the area where the 3 sticks were planted. I really don't even know if this is the hibiscus or is it a big weed. it's flopping over (i've staked it) & keeps trying to curl down. my question is how long before i know if this is a hibiscus or a weed. when will it bloom? what can i do to help it mature faster. thank you all so much. i love the way these plants look & will try to root some cuttings in the fall but...i'm so impatient....lol ...thank you jeannie

Comments (3)

• beachbarbie
    16 years ago

The hardy hibiscus can get floppy.
    How much sun are yours getting. I know if they don't get enough, they can either try to aly down or "lean" towards the sun.
    Have they bloomed yet?
    Barb

• jeannejeanie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

they are getting full sun from morning until night but look like leggy overgrown giraffees ... no blooms but the leaves are definitely hibiscus .... they are now 18" tall 1/2" stems (diameter) barely any leaves ... do you think they need some fertilizer? ty...jeannie

• homasho
    16 years ago

At that size, you most likely will not see any bloom this year. Water and a little fertilizer, and let them grow.

Sponsored