Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
czmls

hibiscus seeds

czmls
16 years ago

Hey all...I just moved into a new home and there is a gorgeous hibiscus tree....how can i obtain some seeds? I tried looking in some tried flowers that i deadhead..and i didn't see anything

Comments (15)

• proudgm_03
    16 years ago

Wait until the bloom has died. You will see a large green pod. Wait until the pod turns brown and looks like it is ready to pop open. Cut the pod off the tree and when you open it you should see a bunch of hard dark brown to black circular seeds.

• proudgm_03
    16 years ago

What color are they? You might be better off at the seed exchange forum. They are not into "named" status flowers as much.

• czmls
    Original Author
    16 years ago

i dont seem to see what you are talking about....the tree just keeps reblooming...no brown pods...

• hitexplanter
    16 years ago

Patience, when the plant is blooming hard it is less likely to set seed. Maybe as August kicks in you will some pods form. The top pic is after it has developed for a few weeks. It starts out small and then get good size and then if all goes well the pod turns brownish and then starts to split open that is the day to collect it.
    Good Luck and Happy Growing David

• dodger41
    16 years ago

I have 3 hardy hibiscus plants for over 5 years. In mid july
    they all bloomed for 2-3 weeks, since then I get 10 -20 buds but no flowers.The buds dry up and turn to brown seed pods. What happened?.

• littleonefb
    16 years ago

I could be wrong, but it sounds like what you think are more buds are really seed pods.

Are you finding these "buds" where the prior flowers where?

• ladyharley
    16 years ago

My hibiscus is flowering slowly, however, all the hibiscus I've owned have never produced seed pods. The bloom just falls off and there is some thing that looks like a pod in the leaves after the flower falls off, (small green pod in the green part that held the flower) but it never turns brown to a seed pod.

• conniesue
    16 years ago

Be patient and give it some time. I have always got some seed ptds on my bushes by fall.

• kimber_07
    16 years ago

in the years that i only had one hibiscus plant, i had never seen a seed pod. now i have two plants, this is the third year for them. last year was the first time i had seen one go to seed. mine also got very bushy this year, when in the past they have just been single stem plants. the seed pods came very early this year, and very few blooms, was this because of the excessive heat and dryness, maybe? im looking to move one this fall. when and how would be the best way to do it? oh yeah, we were talking about seed pods. if these seeds just fall to the earth, will they grow on their own, or should i bring them in and plant them over the winter, baby them alittle?

• Blondmyk
    10 years ago

It's May here and I already have seed pods forming on my tropical Hibiscus plant. They seem to be staying on the plant this year rather than falling off like they all did last year. I've been feeding the plant more often, which may be the reason? Anyway, I'm wondering if these pods, which are growing now, will be able to be harvested before fall, or if only the ones from fall will be the only viable seeds to collect?

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

• Hibiscus_0bsessed
    10 years ago

I think I might finally have a seed pod growing on my bahama bay heartbeat, what can I do to make sure it doesn't fall off? Is there even anything I can do or just cross my fingers? Also I've been reading about "deadheading" what that mean? I'm still pretty new to growing hibiscus and I am trying to get all the info I can get. Thanks

• Gutzmek
    10 years ago

Perhaps this article may help. I have attached at the bottom. Items to remember:
    The majority of seedlings are not true to the parents. And that you may find that either the bloom, or the bush growth is not acceptable.
    Some of the most unusual varieties have come from the same cross and even seed pod. My example of several cats from the same litter having different traits.
    Never give up. There are plants that are better fathers, and some that are better mothers. Through trial and error, you will get results.
    Lastly, I have success using a clean Q-Tip early in the morning to collect pollen and transplant.
    Hope all this helps.
    Ed

FYI- Dead heading is the removal of a closed bloom. Depending on the plant, a light tug will remove the flower. Some take another 6-24 hours, so I have never forced.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hib R-S seeds

• Gutzmek
    10 years ago

Perhaps this article may help. I have attached at the bottom. Items to remember:
    The majority of seedlings are not true to the parents. And that you may find that either the bloom, or the bush growth is not acceptable.
    Some of the most unusual varieties have come from the same cross and even seed pod. My example of several cats from the same litter having different traits.
    Never give up. There are plants that are better fathers, and some that are better mothers. Through trial and error, you will get results.
    Lastly, I have success using a clean Q-Tip early in the morning to collect pollen and transplant.
    Hope all this helps.
    Ed

FYI- Dead heading is the removal of a closed bloom. Depending on the plant, a light tug will remove the flower. Some take another 6-24 hours, so I have never forced.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hib R-S seeds

• Hibiscus_0bsessed
    10 years ago

Wow thanks Ed. Great link. Sorry it took so long to respond, I forgot I posted this question.
    Thanks Again
    Mercedes

• wally_1936
    10 years ago

First what type hibiscus do you have? My Confederate Rose Hibiscus never puts on seeds until it is about finished blooming and most of those seed pods never had any blooms only seed pods. All those I have sent to people but I have not heard anything back about if they have sprouted into plants. In fact I have only had one become a plant in all the time I have raise this variety in 5 years. Confederate Rose Hibiscus tree-bush seems to produce plants from cuttings not seeds. I was hoping to give away a lot of Red Texas Star hibiscus this year as I have 5 plants but so far they are not putting on seed pods that stay on the plant but are falling off. I am still in the hopes they will still set seeds later. Every years before every bloom set a seed pod that I was able to harvest. I will just have to wait and see and this would be the same for you and your hibiscus.