Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prettyxdemented

Braided hibiscus is struggling, please help!!!

prettyxdemented
11 years ago

Hi, I recently purchased a braided hibiscus tree and I have no idea whatsoever what I'm doing with it.

When I first got it, it was EXTREMELY rootbound in a small pot. My mom brought me over a slightly larger pot and we cut around half of the rootbound mess off and repotted it with some fertilizer. (Not sure exactly what it was, but I know it was little green balls and the brand is Miracle Grow.)

I have it on a balcony in a very sunny area, and the ground is like a black tar texture so it gets double heat from the radiating heat off the ground. (I'm on the second floor.) When we first repotted it my mom had me move it into the shade for a few days as not to shock it and I watered it constantly as in its rootbound state the pot was barely absorbing any water so I wanted to finally hydrate it.

HOWEVER. The leaves started turning all yellow. I kept picking them off and thru research learned I was overwatering it. I stopped, then it rained (ugh!) and more yellow leaves. I keep picking them off but there are barely any leaves left! It has a few buds and I haven't been watering it, but right now the temp outside is in the high 90s so I don't want it to dry out either... but if any more leaves go yellow the thing will be bare.

Is there anything I should do? I know it needs a bigger pot but I figured I could wait until the fall... any advice? I'm so lost here!!

Comments (4)

Sponsored