Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sharonstar_gw

after summertime blooming

sharonstar
17 years ago

I read somewhere last year that after the perennial hibiscus is finished blooming for the year that you should cut the stalks to the ground. There was only one large stalk as this was the first year. SO this year, new stalks came up around , like a 3/4 circle of new stalks, if that makes sense but not on the side where the stalk was cut down last year.It almost looks lopsided but is blooming beautifully. Is cutting down all the stalks in the fall the correct thing to do? Thanks in advance for your help. Sharon

Comments (4)

• beachbarbie
    17 years ago

Cutting the stalks off doesn't affect the way it regrows...BUT in the spring, if there's a "wild" stalk, you can cut that back and a new one will grow from the base from another spot. I suppose you could make a less lopsided shape that way.
    Barb

• dreamer53
    17 years ago

I cut mine back and they seem to do very well each year. People walk by and stop to admire them. Actually one guy came back and cut one to take home!

• tsmith2579
    17 years ago

If you cut them back in the fall, I suggest you cover the stumps. The stems are hollow and will collect wintre rain. If you get a hard freeze the water in the stems may freeze and kill the root crown. I use a black plastic pot filled with chopped leaves. About 3 weeks before last frost, I remove the pot and leaves and let the sun shine on the stumps.

• highalttransplant
    17 years ago

Do you have to cut them back to the ground each year? Is that to get more blooms?