Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
n3qcr

moving hardy hibiscus

n3qcr
15 years ago

We're proud growers of two wonderful hardy hibiscus. One about 6ft tall and 5 ft wide which produces more blooms than I can count. The other is dwarfed by her brother and seems to be having a hard time getting enough light and nourishment because her brother is a hog.

I'd like to move her to the other side of the garden but I'm not sure of how to do this or when to do it.

We're brand novice gardeners and don't want to kill the plant. HELP!

Comments (3)

• brockthegreek
    15 years ago

Hi n3qcr,
    I would wait until next Spring before transplanting it. Do it right before it starts it's spring growth. Try to get as much of the root ball as you can. Since you didn't say how close they are, you might have to dig more depth than width to get a decent amount of the root ball. Try to have at least a 2 foot by 1 foot root ball. Be sure to keep it well watered after transplanting.
    BTG

• watergal
    15 years ago

I agree. I moved one at that time last spring and it did great.

• gansn
    15 years ago

I'd move it in the fall. That way you won't have to wait until it sprouts to be sure where it is. It will already have stored up what it needs for the spring and can have the early fall to sink its roots in and be ready in the spring. I've actually moved some during the summer, but you really have to baby them to keep them going if you do that.

Sponsored
Moda Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living