Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sharon4457

Great find....Blue Satin

Sharon4457
16 years ago

I was at Lowe's and bought the last 5 gallon Blue Sation Rose of Sharon. I'm going to plant in blue pot....I'm so excited. My backyard is accented in blues...

I have a 3 yo Blue Bird ROS in the front yard.....it's just starting to bloom.

Comments (12)

• User
    16 years ago

Great find Sharon!
    Is it blooming yet?
    I bought a tiny little Blue satin in the early spring and the little plant has grown alot since.
    It started blooming the second week of June.
    The blooms are so big for such a little plant it looked as though it was going to fall over.
    Very good color on this plant, I really was amazed at how blue the flowers were, and so big!
    I am waiting for my Satin Violet to arrive UPS on the 12th.
    I can't wait to see the blooms on that one!
    Good Luck! and Enjoy!
    (these ROS plants are addictive)LOL

• Sharon4457
    Original Author
    16 years ago

No, it hasn't started blooming yet. Actually, I haven't even transplated it to a large pot yet....this weekend's project.

I've not heard of Satin Violet....off to look it up now.

• cnetter
    16 years ago

I just got my Violet Satin in the mail Thursday. I saw it in bloom a couple of years ago and it was incredibly bright pink/purple. The one I got in the mail was a replacement for a mislabeled rose of sharon that ended up being Lil' Kim which is a dwarf rose of sharon where the blooms last several days. It's already bloomed for me and the blooms really do last two or three days:

Blue Satin is a better blue than Blue Bird. I've had it a few years now:

• palmfan
    16 years ago

Dear Cnetter,
    Where do you order your Rose of Sharon plants from?
    Thanks,
    Palmfan
    p.s. You may wish to read my entries under "McFadden hybrids", a thread started by someone else.

• cnetter
    16 years ago

I order from Garden Crossings. They aren't cheap, but they ship plants in huge pots that if they aren't one gallon, they're close. And their packing is incredible, with bamboo sticks and such so the plants never fall on themselves and get crushed. I've never seen better packing.

• flowergirl70ks
    16 years ago

I am totally ignorant about ROS. Do the hybrids like Blue Satin seed down? Is there a double Blue Satin? I think there is a double Blue bird. Can I prune it to a small tree size? Do they grow well in the midwest? We can have over a 100 degree days here for 2 weeks in a row.

• halaeva
    16 years ago

Hi.
    I also purchased ROS 'Blue Satin. This is a tree-form. Now reaches 6'is full of buds.Some of buds are open a little showing colour. Here my problem begins: The colour is not blue. Is not purple. It is rather pale burgundy, or pinkish brown. Is it possible that I got wrong ROS? I would be destructed. Thank you for reading this. I will appreciate any reply.
    Hala

• User
    16 years ago

Hala,
    Wait til the blooms open fully before you get upset.
    The blooms are true blue.
    If they aren't, you don't have Blue satin.
    When they open fully, you might be pleased. THey could be blue. I hope they are so your not disappointed.

• halaeva
    16 years ago

Thank you so much Butterfly4u for your prompt reply.You gave me a hope and calmed me down.I appreciate that greatly. wishing you a successful gardening-
    Hala.

• halaeva
    16 years ago

Hi Sharon 4457-Lucky Shopper.
    I wonder how Your BLUE SATIN is doing.Many blooms? A great show? No problems? Is it a tree or a shrub? I can imagine how much you must enjoy having a true blue Syriacus.I am still dreaming about it.The one i purchased appeared not to be a Blue Satin.It is light rose-pink.
    It is very hard to get Blue Satin so I am thinking about buying a Blue Bird tree-form.How yours are doing? Wishing you a very happy gardening-Hala.

• paulallen
    16 years ago

It's good to hear about other ROS addicts. I purchased three from Park and took cuttings from a friend for the others. Each spring I prune/shape them to sculpt dwarf trees. I think most ROS can be 'sculpted' each Spring. It's fun and the flowers are non-stop from July to October. I'm interested in more exotic colors of ROS -- any suggestions? So far I have the standard white, lavender blue (several grown from cuttings), a fluffy pink (from Park). Thank you.

• nucci60
    16 years ago

Why do you grow ROS in pots when they are perfectly hardy in the ground?

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio