Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
voodoolily_gw

new gardener with a hardy hibiscus

voodoolily
17 years ago

I just planted a hardy hibiscus this spring. It's maybe a couple feet tall and not that bushy yet and I was wondering if it will flower this year and if so,,,when does it flower? Thanks in advance for any help. :)

Comments (7)

• lily5_2006
    17 years ago

I just planted a hibiscus this year also, although I planted mine late June. Mine is also a couple of feet high and it does have lots of buds on it but hasn't flowered yet. I was told that this was not a true hibiscus but a form of mallow. Did you hear this also? I'm anxious to have it flower so I can see the blooms.

• voodoolily
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I haven't heard anything about them being a form of mallow. I bought mine from a nursery and they said it was a hibiscus. I guess there are tropical hibiscus and hardy hibiscus....but then, I'm new at this so what the heck do I know? lol Anyway, I finally see some tiny little buds on mine. I was afraid I wouldn't get flowers this year. I hope yours turns out nice. :) Thanks for the reply!

• Sharon4457
    17 years ago

From an internet search: mallows (genus Hibiscus).

• lily5_2006
    17 years ago

Voodoolily, I just had to share this with you. I'm thrilled that my hibiscus bloomed yesterday and I have lots more buds

• voodoolily
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey lily5. What a beautiful flower! I got tired of waiting for mine so I bought another one already in bloom just like yours. Now my other hibiscus is about to bloom too. Looks like it's going to be a really dark pink. I can't wait to see! :)

• minnie48192
    17 years ago

Hello,
    I am new to the garden forum. Just wanted to let you know that I have three hardy hibiscus in my front yard, two pink and whites, and one red, and they come back every year and bloom beautifully every year. I planted them from small plants I bought about five years ago. They don't bloom until mid summer, the pinks come first, the red blooms slightly later. You just have to be a bit patient, but you will be thrilled when they bloom. They are breathtaking.

• lily5_2006
    17 years ago

Welcome Minnie! I was new to the garden forum this summer too but I've learned a lot since I've joined. I love hibiscus. This was my first attempt this year and you're right - it WAS breathtaking when I saw the first bloom. Your hibiscus sound wonderful and I would love to see pictures. Do you have a digital camera? If so, post them so we can all enjoy them.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths