Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jak66

Hibiscus Lord Baltimore/Old Yella Not Setting seed.

jak66
13 years ago

I was wondering if this was something inherent in the strain. I've heard that it was impossible and I've heard of successful pollination. Which one is it? In both, Lord Baltimore and Old Yella, the seed pods fall within 2-4 days of the bloom dropping. I've been trying to hand pollinate with no luck or skill.

Comments (7)

• tomva
    13 years ago

If u have two flowers close together try just touching them together.Ive noticed on my hibiscus's that alot of the seed pods fall off also I usually only get 4 or 5 seedpods that will set seed before frost but thats plenty of seed in those 4or 5 pods.I usually get 1 out of maybe 10 that the pod will actually stay on and set seed,but I've never tried to pollinate them myself..out of the 3 hibiscus I do have I usually get a couple hundred seed to trade..

• jak66
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here's a pic of the two. I have a few green tips in hydro bubbler. Still waiting on the verdict. I'm still learning but I love these flowers!

• tomva
    13 years ago

those are beautiful,I have five cuttings putting roots on right now the fireball I propagted last yr. now have 3 more of those and hopefully get the other 5 more happy before frost.I love hibiscus..Looks as though u managed to keep the jap beatles at bay,nice flowers!!!

• jak66
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Tom! They are right next to a Crepe Myrtle, which usually gets eaten alive by Japanese beetles. I've seen a few but they haven't been too bad this year. Sawflies are usually the biggest problem. I moved them in the early Spring to a hot sunny spot in front of the house and they have never done this well. To be honest, I'm surprised they bloomed at all. I would love to have a Fireball and Kopper King! Thanks for your comments.

• jak66
    Original Author
    13 years ago

This is typically what I get even when I hand pollinate: undeveloped seed pods... Could it be the heat or not enough water (I deep water 2x a week)? With all the blooms and energy required, should I deadhead the non-pollinated blooms to encourage setting seed? Both strains finish blooming way before the cooler months arrive. In 4 years I have never been able to get seeds.

• tomva
    13 years ago

jak66,I do pull the spent blooms but only because of the shear weight of them,I havnt got the hibiscus staked so I'm afraid the blooms and the spent ones will be too heavy.I've gotten plenty of the immature seedpods like in your photo but I usually end up with some pods staying on the plant and developing seed,I will put you at the top of the list for fireball hibiscus seed this year,holler at me in the fall,I usually check the posts here and on the wintersowing forum..I hope yours sets seed for you this year..

• jak66
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you Tom! I figured out what is happening. The pollen on the Lord Baltimore is no good. I didn't really pay attention to it, but you can see how brown it is in the pic. It has always looked like that. I was able to pollinate with the Old Yella and have some seed pods fattening up on both plants. Hopefully, I will be able to save them from the tiny Hibiscus beetles that have appeared en force this week. Never a dull moment here. Ha!
    Allan

Sponsored