Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frank325

What hibiscus is this, and growing a baby indoors

frank325
15 years ago

My dad gave me a bunch of little hibiscuses last summer.

This is what they look like this summer (this pic was taken a few months back). Originally they were at most half this size. I found a baby one of these growing out of my cranebill geraniums (also from my dad) early in the summer, so I pulled it out and moved it to another spot. It's been ok so far, but I really wanted it to do as best as it could. Tonight I figured maybe I'd try to grow it indoors first so I could better provide proper conditions for it, but...

-I still don't know exactly what type of hibiscus these are (they have white flowers, still no sign of flowers yet now)

-Anything special I need to know? It had a root straight down as long as the visible plant is, so I put it in a pretty big pot. I used a mixture of vermiculite, perlite and peat.

Comments (6)

• frank325
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Also, I considered doing this because I'm going on vacation soon for 9 days, so I wouldn't be around to water it. It hasn't rained for a week here (until tonight), so I've watered it myself. I figured maybe I could pot it up and put plastic over it to keep it moist while i was gone.

• frank325
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Anyone? I've tried many times to find out what kind of hibiscus this is, but haven't had any luck. They do not die back to the ground, they just lose their leaves. I thought it was hardy hibiscus, but I read they die back in winter, and these don't. It's not multi-stemmed so it isn't rose of sharon.

• sunnybun
    15 years ago

They may be Luna Red Hibiscus. I have some planted but is only 6-8 in. high yet. The leaves however look very much the same.
    Hope this helps. cheers

• frank325
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Definitely not the same plant. Mine has smaller, white blooms... there may have been some red in the flower color, but it was mainly white.

• watergal
    15 years ago

My guess would still be rose of sharon. I'm not sure they have to be multistemmed, I had one that looked a lot like yours until I moved it to a sunnier spot and started pruning it so it would branch more. Rose of Sharon is the only one I know of that is deciduous like yours. However, there are LOTS of hibiscus varieties and related plants, it could be one of the really obscure ones.

• nucci60
    15 years ago

They certainly do look like Rose of Sharon, which is a shrub and not a die back perennial. The flowers will not be huge like the others.You will most likely have many babies in the future because most will throw there seeds everywhere.Some folks don't mind the little plants, but I find them a nuisance.