Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jen35_gw

Large hibiscus???

jen35
16 years ago

I have had a few hibiscus plants over the years, not paying attention to type of hibiscus it was. This year I bought one and I was astonished at the size of the flower so I measured it across = 8 inches!! Is this common?, if so, what type is it? Thank you so much for your help. I live in Northern Ontario.

Comments (3)

• gardengirlz2
    16 years ago

sound like the dinner plate variety, a hardy hibiscus. do you have a pic? there are lots of the larger hibs, if you post a pic of it somebody here can id it for you.

• jen35
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I took pics, still in my camera, but I will try to post it. It Is a burgundy colour. I have to admit I was freaked out when I first saw it on Sunday. I've had a second blossom and the buds are huge. I make everyone who drops by have a lookie loo. Thanks gardengirlz2

• halaeva
    16 years ago

Hi Jen35.
    Your Hibiscus is a Hardy Hibiscus-Rose Mallow- Moscheutos.
    This plant has dinner plate size of blooms reaches to 12"of diameter.It is very common.I have lots of them.there are pure white,many shades of pink ,from light pink to burgundy.they grow in my garden very tall up to 8'.I love them,they are my favorite plants.
    Regards,Hala.

Sponsored