Return to the Hibiscus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Origin of Hibiscus mutabilis 'Rubrus'

Posted by palmfan z7/8NJ (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 21, 14 at 21:48

Trying to get the history of this long-blooming hibiscus also known as Hibiscus paramutabilis 'Terri's Pink'. I've been growing this plant since 1970. I know of no other outdoor hibiscus that can flower from July to November, or even December in the New York/New Jersey area.
This reddish pink flowering hibiscus seems to be completely sterile. It appears it is likely a mutabilis x paramutabilis hybrid. Monrovia started selling this plant in the early 1960's.
Surely someone knows the story about this plant. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Origin of Hibiscus mutabilis 'Rubrus'

You may find some history at the link below...scroll down midway.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hibiscus mutabilis

o
RE: Origin of Hibiscus mutabilis 'Rubrus'

Thanks Tulsarose for the link. It doesn't speak to the origin of Hibiscus mutabilis 'Rubrum' ( I called it "Rubrus', but think it is better known as 'Rubrum'. Some experts also now think it's a paramutabilis hybrid due to technical characteristics of its flower bud bracts and it's stipules(those little finger like green bracts that surround each bud. Stipules are those short pointy growths near where the leaf stem(petiole) joins the branch stem.
Monrovia started selling this hibiscus in the early '60's, but they don't know where this seedless variety came from. It must be a man-made or natural hybrid.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hibiscus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here