Return to the Hibiscus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New to HB growing

Posted by Swassom MI (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 9, 13 at 22:17

My aunt mailed me a "luna rose" hibiscus plant that was ALMOST dead when I got it...I've nursed it to health and it's thriving, but I live in MI and am wondering what to do with it in winter months during the below zero temps?!

It is currently about 2' high and has MULTIPLE blooms starting on it. It's in a pot at the moment on our patio. I keep finding conflicting info on whether or not I should plant in the ground or leave in pot and take in during winter months...anyone have experience and tips to share?

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New to HB growing

Luna Rose is a perennial hibiscus hardy to zone 4 or 5 (different websites show different zones). What zone do you live in?

I have a perennial hibiscus named Kopper King and I live in Maine somewhere between zone 4 and 5. It comes back each year with no protective mulch. But it is very slow to make its appearance. Every year in early June, I'm poking and prodding it to see if it's still alive. (It dies back to the ground.) This year I was sure it was gone, but the next week was happy to see a shoot almost 6" high.

This year I plan to move it to an area of the yard that thaws the earliest in spring. With such a short growing season, the plants seems to be just starting its display of blooms when the sudden cold nights do it in.

According to the attached link, you can bring it inside for the winter, but I haven't tried this.

Here is a link that might be useful: Luna Rose

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hibiscus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here