Return to the Hibiscus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hibiscus moscheutos cuttings ... indoors?

Posted by paul_ z4/5 MI (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 18, 07 at 22:36

High folks,

Last month while at my folks' place up north, I cut back their 'Lord Baltimore' with the intent of making it bush out more. Figuring "what the heck", I brought the cuttings back to my place. Had them in water for a week or so then potted them up -- still rootless -- in a mix of top soil with lots of old bark & perlite [I was repotting a number of orchids & figured I'd try reusing the old mix.]

So far only one casualty, & I believe it was the result of the media drying out as I was gone for 4 days. The other potted stalks are still firm & green. Hopefully they'll take root.

My question is this:
If I am unable to make it back up to my folks before winter sets in [yes I know I still have several months til then, just don't know for certain if I'll have time to get back up there], can I over winter them indoors?

*NOTE: I live in an apt. If I don't make it back up there, there is no place for me to plant them & no I don't have an unheated garage or attic.*

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hibiscus moscheutos cuttings ... indoors?

Hi Paul.
I overwintered Hardy Hibiscus Moscheutos several times inside the house.I did not put them to sleep, i let them grow.Put them at sunny window and watered a little just enough to keep the soil moist. After they started to grow fast i increased the amount of water and gave them some food.If you do not have sunny window,any window should be ok.i think.
Hala.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hibiscus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here