Return to the Hibiscus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bare branches on tree

Posted by lucy9999 ca (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 8, 07 at 23:00

I have a hibiscus tree red blooms dont know what kind it is I had it in a pot and was doing fine. I decided to plant it in the ground in April,, it started with yellow leaves then I guess it got over the shock and now it has green leaves. My problem is that I only see new growth on the front of the tree and the back of it has some bare branches. They dont seem to be dry becasue I tried to bend one and it did not break. Are they dead? should I cut them off. I also see some leaves growing on the bottom part of the main stalk. Should I just cut them off to keep the form of the tree and not let is branch out from the bottom? I dont know what to do to make it nice and full all around like I initially bought it. Any help would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bare branches on tree

I usually prune in the Spring to maintain the dwarf shape and regularly remove small growths throughout the summer. Be sure to topdress with compost and maintain two to four inches of mulch -- not touching the trunk. I fertilize monthly during the growing season. Good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hibiscus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here