Return to the Hibiscus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
rose of sharon question

Posted by arabianqueen69 Zone 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 13, 10 at 23:32

I transplanted a rose of sharon 2 years ago in the fall. last year it did well, it grew and produce flowers. this year ants seemed to have invaded it and have made the leaves looks shriveled and the blooms very puny and stopped other blooms from developing and opening. does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on why the ants invaded it and is there a way to get rid of the ants without harming the plant? is it even the ants that is the problem? thanks in advance for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: rose of sharon question

Well the first thing you could do is make a bottle of water with a little dish soap and spray them, it should remove their "waxey" coating and they should then die. At least it has worked for me in the past, they seem to die there and then. If they have hilled up around the base I would also pour this same solution on them.

o
RE: rose of sharon question

Thanks Wally-1936 I appreciate the suggestion and will try that out!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hibiscus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here