Return to the Hibiscus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rose of Sharon Cuttings

Posted by greattigerdane z5NY (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 4, 10 at 0:09

Hi,

I have three 7" or so cuttings (white with red center rooting (hopefully) in a small pot of vermiculite that's covered with an upside down glass vase for higher humidity right in a window that faces north. So far they are healthy, bouncy and very green!
I didn't know you could take cuttings, only seeds I thought, or I would have done this earlier in the season.
With that said, if they all root, I was going to keep them in my semi heated garage (55 degrees) and pot them up individually in the spring and plant them outdoors.

Do you think they will do ok in my garage until spring?
Will being in a cool 55 degree, "lowest" 50 degree garage still cause the leaves to drop like they do in late fall through the winter?

Thanks for any help!
Billy Rae

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rose of Sharon Cuttings

I planted mine last summer and left them out through our Winter season which got down to freezing and they did fine. I lost some but not all of the leaves. I just dipped them into root tone and planted them, just keeping the soil moist with plain potting soil.

o

Thanks!

I did plant one cutting in a shady area with good draining soil in the back part of my garden and it was fine for a few days, then it starting getting soft leaves and drooping, even after it was well watered.

o

I have had them lose all their leaves so I wouldn't give up on that one yet. I did keep them in pots until this spring before transplanting. The fun is in learning what all you can do to produce more beautiful plants
Thanks
Paul

o

Will Rose of Sharon survive cold, Canadian winters, zone 5b, which is about zone 5 for US, I think. I haven't seen any around here, but Holyhocks (quite another plant) grows well.

Nancy

o

Nancy, Rose of Sharon are hardy to zone 5.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hibiscus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here