Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mindysuewho

Texas Star Hibiscus-questions

mindysuewho
15 years ago

I have two Red Texas Star Hibiscus that were started from seed. In the late spring, I brought them outside. They are in pots, look healthy, but not a bud yet. I am wondering if I can plant it in the ground in my zone and if so when? Also, how can I get it to bloom? Thanks for any answers.

Comments (3)

• palmfan
    15 years ago

I am growing both the red and the white varieties of this hibiscus ( Hibiscus coccineus). This is a hardy subtropical species from the Gulf coast region. You should lightly mulch these plants after setting them out in your garden. They should resprout in mid to late spring in your garden, and bloom nicely next year. First year blooms are possible, but not certain. Next year you should have lots of flowers, starting in July or early August.
    Contact me by email if you want seeds of my white one, or my garden hardy tropical species- Cuban Hibiscus!

• kmonceaux
    15 years ago

I also have both the red and white varieties. Being that I am in zone 9 mine begin to bloom in early June and are still blooming. I cut mine back before our first frost and they come back very nicely in early spring.

palmfan - do you have a picture of your Cuban Hibiscus?

• palmfan
    15 years ago

Sorry! I don't have a clue how to post pictures with my messages. I can tell you that the flowers are a purplish pink. The leaves are somewhat like very long triangles in that they are very elongated. The leaves are quite downy and the stems are quite thorny, much like a rose. The plant blooms until freezing weather kills the above ground growth. Like other herbaceous hibiscus, it is slow to emerge in the spring, but grows well when it "wakes up" in the spring. Also, this hibiscus has an endearing habit of folding its leaves into a vertical position each evening, much like the old fashioned houseplant called the Prayer Plant.

Sponsored