Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrbrownthumb

When newbies do dumb things

mrbrownthumb
18 years ago

This Spring I was at a Home Depot and came across this great little Hibiscus Topiary, its a perfect standard tree. I bought it because I was assured it was hardy to my area and I liked the shape. Well after doing some searching I am pretty sure it is a Tropical Hibiscus, which is a shame because he is growing in the ground and doing great; growing and blooming like crazy and growing many new leafs.

I am wondering how and when it will seed and what I should do with the seeds to make new plants. Also I was wondering if anyone knew what variety I had, it has huge red flowers about the size of my hand.

I will try to embedd a pic in the post if that doesn't work there is a pic of it on my blog which you can find the url for in my profile. I would appreciate any help.

Comments (13)

• bruggirl100
    18 years ago

Tropical hibiscus don't get seeds. And it will definitely die if temps get below freezing. If you want to keep it alive, dig it up and put it in a big pot for the winter. Keep it somewhere where the temps will not go below 50. It will drop leaves, but it should survive, if you don't keep it too wet.

You can take some cuttings now and stick them. They'll probably lose all their leaves, but if you just keep them watered, they should root before winter. Then if the big one doesn't survive, you can have babies to start another. Of course, you won't get a tree anytime soon in your climate, because a standard takes 3-5 years to grow, but you will definitely get a shrub.

• mrbrownthumb
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hey thanks for the tips, I really appreciate it. I was thinking of taking some cutting incase the tree dies when I bring it indoors and it doesn't get enough light.

Although I have two more questions; Do you know what variety I have? It looks common but I'd like to have a name for when I take cutting for trade. The flowers are huge, I'll provide a link below

My neighbors have some Hibiscus Trees that are hardy to the area. They have small white or purple flowers that look like they are made of paper. In the fall/winter they produce some really neat seed pods. I noticed that the bees are collecting the pollen from my tree. When they do the flower falls off and the green part that was supporting the flower begins to close up and form a pod, just like my neighbors hardy Hibiscus But withing a couple of days it turns yellowish and falls from the tree. Any clue what is going on? It almost looks like the pod is rotting.

Here is a link that might be useful: What variety do I have?

• beachbarbie
    18 years ago

Your neighbor probably have Rose of Sharon, which self seed, I believe.
    You have a tropical hibiscus (Hibiscus rosa-sinensis) a different species from your neighbors. They won't cross pollinate. There's nothing wrong with your flower - it's not forming a pod because it wasn't fertilized. The only way to get seeds from yours is to buy another hibiscus and either pollinate by hand or put the 2 plants close together and let the bees do their thing. ;)
    There are so many cultivars of hibiscus, it's almost impossible to say what you have. I wouln't worry about it -it's a gorgeous pink, just enjoy!
    You can keep it alive over the winter; do a search for "over wintering" in this forum - lots of good info.
    Barb

• mrbrownthumb
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Oh I wasn't trying to cross it with the hardy varieties, I'm dumb enough to plant it into the ground but now that I see the blooms I know they trying to make a tropical hardy cross would be crazy.

Thanks for the help :)

• bruggirl100
    18 years ago

Looks like a common single red, which is actually a great plant, the most florific of the tropical hibiscus, along with Seminole Pink. We sold more single reds at the garden center than any others. People would come in and say "I want that plant with the huge red flowers".

It's also one of the easiest to root, so you should be doing great. Ask your neighbor for seeds from his Rose of Sharon. They grow very easily, and quickly too, and even if they are self-pollinated, you never know what you're going to get. My mother had a white one outside her kitchen window, and it dropped seeds for years. Seedlings came up, and now she has a pink, purple, solid white, and white with a red eye, all seedlings of the same plant.

• bulbs
    18 years ago

Hi from another "newbie" -

I've got a "crazy question" - I had some seeds given to me year before last from a hardy hibiscus - think it's a rose-of-sharon. Just noticed it last week - seem to have about 3 growing, a few feet tall - but no leaves or blooms on any. Does it normally take so long to develop more than just the "stem"? Or should I just throw out those, and start over. I still have a few seeds from the same group.

Thanks for any info - Bulbs

• rjj1
    18 years ago

Mr. Thumb

Your tropical weed looks to be Painted Lady. My blooms have more overlap like yours when temps are warmer. This morning its in the lower 60's and raining.

{{gwi:894141}}

randy

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    18 years ago

bulbs,

If the seeds are round, then you have hardy hibiscus, and if they are flat, and possibly have a few short hairs on them, then they are Rose of Sharon.

When my ROS reseed, they they get their leaves pretty quickly. like at an inch or so.

I'm wondering if you have hibiscus seeds. Might you be able to post a pic?

I would not pitch em, but rather wait and see what you get.

Possibly you could winter sow the remaining seed this winter.

Sue

• mrbrownthumb
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hey, that looks like mine Rjj1. Thanks for that.

• bulbs
    18 years ago

Sue - sorry, can't post pics. (don't have digital camera or knowledge needed)

Will take your advise and see about w/s'ing the rest of the seeds this year. Just hope something comes up!

bulbs - Barbara

• mrbrownthumb
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Rjj1

I came back to look at your pic because I remembered you posting it...it makes me miss my little plant. I didn't get it out of the ground in time and the cold did it in.

I posted a trade request in the hibiscus exchange. If anyone has any I'd be willin to look at your want list and see what you'd want.

MBt

• AnnaW101
    11 years ago

Hi - is there such a thing as sterile rose of sharon? None of mine have ever reseeded themselves. Should I be going something different?

• dragonfly183
    11 years ago

A LOT of people cross pollinate tropical hibiscus as a hobby. Its a great way to create lots of beautiful and interesting species. There is an excellent video on youtube for preserving pollen. I sometimes go to my local garden centers with a few Q tips and collect pollen from species I don't have.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida