Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_970892

hardy dinner plate hibiscus grown from seed, how long to bloom

littleonefb
18 years ago

I planted several kinds of hardy hibiscus seeds, including a couple that are supposed to be hardy dinner plate ones.

they germinated and are about 2-3 feet tall, but there's no sign of a bud on any of them. does it take another year before they bloom?

Comments (9)

• donna_jj
    18 years ago

I started some H. moscheutos Galaxy seeds in 2004 and they did not bloom until this year. Hopefully the same will happen for yours.

• littleonefb
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Donna JJ, again thanks for the info. I WS mine in 05, so hope they will bloom next year for me.

• artzypantz
    18 years ago

Hi littleonefb!
    I grew some hardy hibiscus from seed for the last 2 years.
    The first year they had just a few good sized blooms. The next year from seed i gave them some blooming food after they got so old and wow did they did they bloom!
    Might want to try that to help them along.
    Enjoy your flowers!
    Tonia

• littleonefb
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hopefully they will bloom next year for me. They never got any taller than 2-3 feet. did feed them a few times with miracle grow. They are dying back now after several frosts and some snow. Only time will tell. I figured that because they where perennials they wouldn't bloom the first year, the same as my disco and southern belles. they bloomed for 2 months with tons of flowers this year.
    Fran

• grancami
    17 years ago

HI there,

I know this question is a year old but I've just joined the forum!

I live in France and grew this Galaxy variety for the first time last Spring (06). I germinated 6 out of the whole packet (expensive!). The first 3 produced huge flowers (19 cm across)in July/August. One white, one pink and one red. One just unexpectedly died and the other two haven't produced any flowers. They were planted, still in their pots, in my veg patch and got full sun. Didn't feed them but will start to do this if I can get them through the winter. Incidentally, they are presently 3' tall.

I first saw them in a border near my home and today, I revisited to see how they were faring (as it is now Autumn) and how the owners had treated them. They were covered in seedpods so I picked a few for next year - wish I had noted the colours when I first saw them. They haven't been pruned but I did notice that they were extremely bushy with many stems from the crown.

Hope this is of some interest.

• Roberta_z5
    17 years ago

I started several different varieties indoors in March of this year. I planted them when the soil was warm in late May and every one of them bloomed. Some were the dinner plate size and some were the smaller ones with leaves that look like Oaks. I don't know the names of any of them.

They all grew to tall bush size (6-8 feet tall)

• patriarch
    15 years ago

i'm in florida and bought my giant dinner plate hibuscus at a county fair (swap meet). it bloomed all through the summer.

i saved the seeds...then the next year, after dormancy, the plant looked dead....that is until i unearthed it. it was still dormant. well, i was back at the beginning and the next feb or march, i planted the seeds. only two came up and no bloom. this year, i just left those dead looking stalks in the ground and finally, around july, august, the sprouted.

well, now it's about three months later and no budds. big leaves but nothing more. any clues?

• patriarch
    15 years ago

posted above but i understand there's some tech. difficulties occuring.

if anyone has an answer to my querie, i'd appreciate your input.
    patriarch

Here is a link that might be useful: dinnerplate hibiscus

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH