Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Fertilizer for tropical hibiscus

I now have 4 hibiscuses in pots; 3 from last year and 1 from this year. The older ones are not blooming nearly as much as the newer so I think itÂs time to fertilize them. What formula is best for producing flowers on these? Any brand recommendations?

Comments (4)

• katie_55
    15 years ago

What about Bloom Booster, there are several different brands that make it, also you could try some epsom salts.

linnea56, may I ask how you over winter yours? I tried to over winter one last year and it made it till Jan and I lost it. I just got two more today so was wondering how you did do it.

Katie

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I didnÂt do anything special: just gave them the sunniest windows I had. They were in a window that is not near drafts: I close off the heat register that is nearby. They were no more problem than any houseplant. I bring a lot of my deck plants in for the winter. They lose some leaves at first but they survive.

• User
    15 years ago

Just use Miracle Grow fertilizer for them.
    Regular Miracle Grow.
    I buy the granular form in the square box at Walmart.
    They love it, and spray it on it's leaves.
    No epson salts.
    If the salts build up in your container, water a little bit, then about 10 minutes later, water alot more til the water comes out of the bottom of the pot.
    That will wash the salts out of the soil that will gradually build up.
    Good Luck!

• beachbarbie
    15 years ago

Hibiscus need to be fertilized every couple of weeks. Miracle grow is fine, but be sure to take butterfly4you's advise about washing the salts out.
    Barb

Sponsored