Return to the Hibiscus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rose of sharon won't bloom

Posted by wqcustom z7b NC (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 15, 05 at 5:34

Anyone know why my rose of sharon won't bloom? It is about 4 ft tall, and is loaded with buds that look like they are about to open, but they don't. This is the 2nd year it has done this. Last year I thought maybe it was still getting established, so I didn't think much of it, but now that it's doing it again this year, I think it must not be happy with something. The tree looks healthy overall. Thanks for any info.

Will

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rose of sharon won't bloom

Are you fertilizing?? Is shrub getting enough sun? My Rose of Sharon is all budded up also and so far only a very few blooms. Same last year. I am going to transplant to a sunnier area and fertilize. Did not realize until I read entries in this forum that Rose of Sharon needs to be on a regular fertilizer schedule!!

o

It's definately in full sun, so maybe I'll start to hit it with some regular fertilizer. Thanks for the tip.

o

• Posted by wmc1 s/w Ontario (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 17, 05 at 16:01

All mine come in full bloom every year in full sun. Don't ever fertilize them, and never had problems.

o

I am having the exact same problem and it is the second year for this. Some of the buds just barely start to open and then nothing. Last year I watched the buds just drop off having never opened - very annoying. I fertilized this year and so far no difference. I did notice some very small (smaller than a grain of rice) white fuzz on a few of the buds and I'm wondering if they are being attacked by something... Sorry this isn't much help... I'm thinking of taking one of the buds with the white to a nursery to see if they can help me identify the problem.

o

The bud drop could be caused by gall midge. Place some buds in a sealable plastic bag. After a day or two, you may see the very small yellowish worm-like larva on the plastic. Control the midge affecting buds with Orthene sprays as needed. Hope this helps.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hibiscus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here