Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hermie3rd

Double Red ID Please!

hermie3rd
10 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone can id the double red hibiscus. My mom gave me a cutting, which over the years has done quite well. The cutting was originally from my grandmother's plant, which now (if still alive) would have been about 60 years old, according to my mom. She just told me it's a "double red" but I was looking for a more specific name if possible. It has done quite well for me, and I just potted up this spring, so it's rewarding me with many more flowers than it has in the past. I'll post a pic of one of its open flowers and one of its leaves. Thanks so much!

Comments (5)

• hermie3rd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And the leaves...

• TulsaRose
    10 years ago

Your Hibiscus rosa-sinensis (Tropical Hibiscus) is gorgeous! Possibly the cultivar "Celia"? At the website linked below, there is a great section for Winter Care that should be helpful.

"Winter Care"

Here is a link that might be useful: H. rosa-sinensis

• hermie3rd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much, Tulsa! I've actually had this plant for about 4 years now, so it's been through a couple of MI winters. The first winter, I thought I had lost it, but I moved it to our big picture window in our living room, away from the heat registers, and make sure to water it consistently. The last couple of winters, it has even bloomed for me! But repotting it this spring definitely helped it, and it has had more blooms on it than even before.

This plant is from a cutting from my mom's plant, which was started from a cutting from my grandmother's plant. I think my grandmother's plant has since died, but my mom's plant is HUGE!! She also has a double pink from my grandmother that she is going to start for me, so I'm excited about that too.

Thanks again for all the info! Even though I've over-wintered this one successfully, I always like to read up and make sure I'm not missing anything.

If you would like a cutting from my plant, let me know. I would be happy to provide you with one or trade if you have anything you would be willing to part with. :)

• TulsaRose
    10 years ago

Hermie, thanks for the kind offer to share. I have eliminated all tender perennials that have to be over-wintered indoors. Due to aging beyond my control, I spend more time visiting gardening forums than I do gardening. ;-) I do have a beautiful hardy Hibiscus that I transplanted from my mom's home. Fortunately, it pretty much takes of care of itself. Compared to yours, it's a youngster...40yrs old maybe.

Thanks again....

Rosie

• hermie3rd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No problem!! Is it normal to count the cutting from the mother plant the same age as the mother plant?? Enjoy the forums!! :)

Renee

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH