Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eli_h_gw

cross Exotic hibiscus with Hardy Hibiscus

eli_h
12 years ago

Hi to all members,

I am new to this forum.

I live in Israel and I have several hardy Hibiscus and Hibiscus rosa-sinensis hybrids .

Till now I raised all of them from cuttings.

I would like to start pollinate them and to experiencing raising them from seeds.

Is it possible to pollinate rosa-sinensis hibiscus with Hardy Hibiscus ?

Thank you in advance,

Eli

Comments (2)

• palmfan
    12 years ago

The short answer is "No". That said, the Fleming Brothers have developed at least three cultivars that they have patented, or are patenting, that they assert to be hybrids of hardy hibiscus and exotic tropical hibiscus, of the rosa-sinensis complex.
    However, I have a "backyard hybridizer" friend who seriously questions their claims. That said, I DO have one of these plants, Pink Comet which at least hints at having rosa-sinensis genetic material in its heritage. I have also read that hybrids of rosa-sinensis, and Hibiscus syriacus( The Rose of Sharon)have been created. I have not found them on the market yet, however. DO give it a try! You just MIGHT get fortunate!
    Subtropical hibiscus, such as Hibiscus grandiflorus of Florida, will cross with certain hardy hibiscus, such as Hibiscus moscheutos. These can be truly spectacular. One such hybrid is Hibiscus 'Moy Grande'. This was developed by a Dr. Moy, of San Antonio if memory serves me right. It is worth obtaining. I can send you seed, if you tell me your name and address. You can contact me at :jrandjimr@comcast.net
    Sincerely,
    "Palmfan" (Jim Reilly)

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    12 years ago

Hi Jim, I started a new post about this very subject. Sounds like you know something about this. I too retired and need something to keep busy with. With Pa.'s cold winters (zone 6) I would like to keep with hards types with the beauty of the tropicals. It is dreams that start the discovery process. And most of all luck. At some point these two Hibiscus must have had a connection? If so it should be possible to cross-breed them.
    Stush

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz