Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jroot_gw

photos of some of my hibiscus

jroot
13 years ago

Some of my hibiscus are hardy perennial, but most are tropical which have to come indoors for the winter.

Here are some shots of them. Enjoy !

{{gwi:692096}}

{{gwi:692098}}

{{gwi:692101}}

{{gwi:692104}}

{{gwi:692107}}

{{gwi:692109}}

{{gwi:692112}}

{{gwi:692114}}

{{gwi:692117}}

{{gwi:692119}}

{{gwi:692121}}

{{gwi:692123}}

Comments (7)

• sun_worshiper
    13 years ago

Gorgeous! I just bought a house in FL and am thinking of putting some hibiscus in the landscape. I'm just learning about the different kinds. Thanks for sharing the great pictures! I really like the "Sunny Wind", I'll have to look for that variety.

• User
    13 years ago

Awesome! Healthy plants and beautiful flowers. They sure are responding well to your loving attentions.

Thanks for sharing.

• bbms88
    13 years ago

WOW! Such pretty hibiscus flowers! Do you use anything special to care for the plant? I am also new to the plant and have read about special sprays and fertilizer, none of which is available at a "box" store.

• jroot
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here in Canada, of course, they have to go inside for the winter. I try to give them as much light as possible, and this year will try some of them under florescent lamps on a timer - 16 hours on and 8 hours off.

In the spring, I take them outside in May and bring them indoors for the cool nights, and back out in the morning.

During the summer, they get as much sun as possible - close to 9 hour of direct light. I feed them with a 20-20-20 fertilzer once every week or so, depending upon the weather.

Not too much work for someone who loves them so much.

JR

• kandhi
    13 years ago

JR, do you have any white flies or any other pest problems maintaining them indoors in winter?

• jroot
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have not had any problem with white fly, mealy bug or spider mites. Sometimes aphids show up but they can be sprayed with a pesticide and the problem is solved.

What I learned when I dealt with my brugmansia in the past, is to hose the plant down really well, covering the soil with a plastic bag so it doesn't drown. Then I spray with a pesticide of some sort including the soil, let it dry, spray again, let it dry, then hose it down again and let it dry before I bring them indoors. Hopefully I can continue to have this success this year, and hereafter.

• rosco_p
    13 years ago

John:
    Great pictures of your gorgeous Hibiscus. You have an awesome pallet of colours to look at when you walk the "estate"...(That is what I tell my wife I am heading outside for when I am garden browsing).Keep enjoying those Hibiscus,especially the 25 year old; you must have given that one a lot of special care over the years. Ross

Sponsored