Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
membertom

Hibiscus grandiflorus and 'Moy Grande' fragrance???

membertom
15 years ago

I've read somewhere that Hibiscus grandiflorus has a fragrance and that 'Moy Grande' (a hybrid of grandiflorus) inherited fragrance from that species.

I couldn't smell a thing on my 'Moy Grande' flowers last season. It hasn't started yet this season, so I haven't been able to re-check.

My grandiflorus was too small to bloom last year. So... I'm wondering just how strongly scented this species really is.

Has anybody here smelled either of these before???

Comments (3)

• palmfan
    15 years ago

My 'Moy Grande' is almost finished for this year, except for a few buds on a little branch which are yet to bloom. I will have to give it a sniff when it blooms again. I DO have a coccineus/Grandiflorus hybrid called 'Red Flyer'. I must sniff one of its flowers tomorrow even if they are mostly 8 to 10 feet high!

• membertom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hello palmfan,

I don't know if you got the chance to smell your 'Red Flyer' or not, but I still didn't get much smell from my 'Moy Grande' this year either, but...

:0)

My Hibiscus grandiflorus finally is blooming now, and it DEFINITELY has a sweet floral scent. It's so late-blooming that all the other Hibiscus are already scattering seeds and turning yellow and brown.

I'm trying to freeze some pollen for use next year with my other Hibiscus. Does anyone know if Hibiscus pollen tolerates freezing?

Thanks, Tom

• membertom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I just used one of the two frozen samples of grandiflorus pollen on one flower each of 'Blue River II' and 'Old Yella'.
    From what I've read, grandiflorus is supposed to be fully interfertile with the moscheutos types, so wish me luck in getting that grandiflorus fragrance into some earlier-blooming, flat types.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County