Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kandhi_gw

has anyone noticed outburst of whiteflies this year?

kandhi
13 years ago

I have noticed all my hibiscus with white flies infestation this year? Have been growing hibiscus for several years but never ever experienced this bad. Unless I break their cycle, it is hard to control once they are that many. I am afraid that they may spread to other tropicals, but right now they are only on hibiscus. I have cut several of my plants fully first and then planning to spray them with neem oil so that no eggs or larvea survive so that I don't carry the pest inside. Below are some of the pics of my hibiscus plant this year but they are no longer that big as I cut them all the way to main stem as I was so frustrated with controlling the bug. If you had similar situation, please share your experience and how you are planning to handle the situation. thanks

{{gwi:35637}}

Comments (3)

• rosco_p
    13 years ago

Khandi: What would be the nameof the variegated red flowering Hibiscus?...very beautiful plant! Enjoy. Ross.

• rosco_p
    13 years ago

Khandi: Just rereading a couple of posts and I see that I neglected to comment on your question about noticing whiteflies this year. Actually in my area I have not seen any whiteflies on my plants since this past winter. I hope you were able to get yours under control. Ross.

• heavenlyfarm
    13 years ago

I keep my tropical inside during winter but I always have alot of plants indoors all year round and it seems every winter I get attacked by whiteflies indoors and it drives me nuts how they get in and just spread and spread. I never have problems otherwise with them and are only a bother in winter