Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prairiemoon2

Tropical Hibiscus preparing for indoors for winter?

I have a tropical hibiscus standard that I bought in the spring and repotted into a ceramic pot and kept it outside all summer. Since I haven't killed it yet, I hope to move it indoors for winter. [g] I think I probably could have fertilized it more as bloom was sporadic. Sometimes I get a few yellow leaves which I'm not sure why. I was told from the nursery that they love water and fertilizer. I water just about every day so I know it's not too little water. I've only fertlized half strength about 4x all summer, so I know I could do more of that. Especially if I am watering that often.

If someone has some tried and true method of preparing the plant for the change to indoors and any tips on how to keep it healthy, I'd appreciate it. I'm not sure if I should be cutting back on water and fertilizer or continuing the fertilizer, pruning the plant? I am planning to give it a good power spray with the hose from top to bottom and remove the bark mulch and annuals planted at the base and a couple of inches of the top soil and replace with fresh. Would that be correct?

Comments (4)

• beachbarbie
    13 years ago

For tried and true advice, check out this link.
    Barb

Here is a link that might be useful: Queen of th Tropics, up North

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks very much for that link, beachbarbie, it looks like a good one!

:-)

• jroot
    13 years ago

Fabulous article. Thanks.

• beachbarbie
    13 years ago

That is my "go to site" for all things tropical hibiscus.
    Barb

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus