Return to the Hibiscus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pruning Hibiscus

Posted by rkyric z6 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 1, 05 at 9:33

i have several Hibiscus lining my fence in my back yard. they are getting very tall- borderline out of control. Is it not advisable to prune them once the leaves are gone? It will just be that much easier one there are no leaves. How far can i cut them back? Thanks....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pruning Hibiscus

You can actually prune them at any time, it will just reduce the number of blooms you have if you do it during the growing season.
Waiting until the leaves are gone is, as you said, easier and that way you can have a better look at how they're growing and be able to shape them easier.
I have heard, although others may correct me if need be, that you can cut them back by 1/3 in a single trimming.
Barb

o

That's correct Barb. Just been reading up on the subject for some indoor ones and that's the rule of thumb for most plants. Timing is between February and August. If you still want to maintain blooms you can cut every other branch and do the missed ones the following year. Pruning will envigorate the plant as blooms are more prevalent on younger branches.

Rolande in Ottawa Canada

o

I have a bush that is about 6 feet tall and has no buds on it. How do I prune? Cut the vertical branches? then cut the balance back by 1/3?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hibiscus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here