Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
genes_gw

Hibiscus branches drooping after rain

genes
14 years ago

I have four hibiscus bushes of various sizes, some up to 8 ft tall and all are in heavy bloom at this time. We had a heavy rain last nite which made the blossoms even heavier and now the branches are really bent.

Would a heavy pruning this fall make for sturdier branches for next year or is the answer to stake the bushes.

Staking would probably detract from the spectacular blooms. The bushes are ok during bloom as long as there is no heavy rain.

Thanks

Gene

Comments (3)

• sb91710
    14 years ago

if it bothers u, u can shake it after the rain to get rid of the water caught in the flowers. pruning it back will make it bushier.

• genes
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Its not that it bothers me, it is a horrible amount of weight on the branches and I fear they will break. Have tried shaking the branches, but with the soaked blossoms this does not help.
    Time to cut way back I suppose and hope for shorted branches and less strain

• summerbreezes
    14 years ago

You can also loosen soil a couple inches and put some new soil to freshen and bone meal with the new soil. Prune your bush only one side at a time a few inches back it will look odd but do one side each month or...randomly trim back about a quarter of the brances each month till you have the shape you want.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville