Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roseyp8255

Ants love my tropical hibiscus

roseyp8255
18 years ago

Any clue why? THere are always lots of little black ants on them and in them....is it just the nectar?

Comments (3)

• cmb7275
    18 years ago

I have noticed ants on my tropicals also. One expert told me to watch very closely for aphids (that when a lot of ants are present you probably have aphids)Sure enough I noticed the little buggers on some of the buds. I treat with a soap and water mixture (with a little oil mixed in for adhesion). I am fairly new to the tropicals, but hopefully this will help. Good Luck!
    Claire

• geekgranny
    18 years ago

Fireants love my Tropical Hibs!!! This year I have almost no fireant colonies popping up in my yard but I'm on and off fighting them in and around large containers that sit on ground. I use Amdro for control for fireants.

I've read that "regular" ants "tend" to aphid herds. I think it is for "cultivation" of aphid dew, but not sure.
    geekgranny

• plantladyott
    18 years ago

Yup ants are there because of some other insect pest which produces a honey dew (which is really bug pee). Most likely it's aphids. A soap and water spray with some horticultural oil (dormant oil for fruit trees) mixed in will help. Pruning back severely affect tips helps too. I've attached a link to some interesting recipes. Just be sure to try on a small area first in case your plant has a nasty reaction.

Rolande in Ottawa Canada

Here is a link that might be useful: bug spray recipes

Sponsored