Return to the Hibiscus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hibiscus tree please help

Posted by lucyniki none (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 6, 14 at 10:41

Hi everyone, i am new to this forum and really hoping that someone here can help

I've been online all afternoon reading up on hibiscus trees and shrubs. I would love a hibiscus tree in my front garden but where do i buy them?? I phoned up my local garden centre but they only have the shrubs. Do you make the tree out of a shrub by pruning (?) or can you buy the trees?? I live in the uk can anyone please give me some advice?
Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hibiscus tree please help

i have seen a few tree versions at our big box home improvement stores. I am not sure if that would be similar in the UK. Hibiscus is not naturally a tree that i am aware of, so the ones that you see have been either grafted or grown specially to make them into trees. I don't see them that often and usually only in our spring/summer season.

o

I wonder if you are thinking of Althea or Rose of Sharon? they are showy trees that are winter hardy and lovely accent trees. Of course not such large blooms as hibiscus.

o

Hi, I am writing in from Vienna, Austria. we planted two lines of young hibiscus in April in our garden and they are growing fine. However, winter is approaching and we are scarred of losing them to the usually harsh cold in Austria. WHAT SHALL WE DO TO PROTECT THEM THIS WINTER????????

o

Hi danjuma, do you know if you have the ornamental tropical hibiscus shrub or the rose of Sharon tree? If you have the ornamental variety I don't think they will make it through the winter outside.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hibiscus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here