Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lucyniki

hibiscus tree please help

lucyniki
9 years ago

Hi everyone, i am new to this forum and really hoping that someone here can help

I've been online all afternoon reading up on hibiscus trees and shrubs. I would love a hibiscus tree in my front garden but where do i buy them?? I phoned up my local garden centre but they only have the shrubs. Do you make the tree out of a shrub by pruning (?) or can you buy the trees?? I live in the uk can anyone please give me some advice?
Thank you!

Comments (4)

• merkity
    9 years ago

i have seen a few tree versions at our big box home improvement stores. I am not sure if that would be similar in the UK. Hibiscus is not naturally a tree that i am aware of, so the ones that you see have been either grafted or grown specially to make them into trees. I don't see them that often and usually only in our spring/summer season.

• johnnycabot
    9 years ago

I wonder if you are thinking of Althea or Rose of Sharon? they are showy trees that are winter hardy and lovely accent trees. Of course not such large blooms as hibiscus.

• danjuma
    9 years ago

Hi, I am writing in from Vienna, Austria. we planted two lines of young hibiscus in April in our garden and they are growing fine. However, winter is approaching and we are scarred of losing them to the usually harsh cold in Austria. WHAT SHALL WE DO TO PROTECT THEM THIS WINTER????????

• Ninkasi
    9 years ago

Hi danjuma, do you know if you have the ornamental tropical hibiscus shrub or the rose of Sharon tree? If you have the ornamental variety I don't think they will make it through the winter outside.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus