Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mandi_s1

What dictates a breed miniature?

mandi_s1
16 years ago

I've had my mystery floppy stemmed hibiscuit :-D for nearly two years, and from what I can guess is a tropical, since it's a double, and rides the line between pink and red, depending on the age of the blooms, watering and if it's been fertilized.

I'm guessing that it might be A Pride of Hankins, but they are "miniatures" and google as I may I have not found a definition for what dictates a hibiscus miniature.

The blooms on it are probably about 5-6" tops when it really puts out the effort.

The Lunas (good gawds, huge) I've been seeing around do seem to spread wider than my hibiscus, but I've always written that off to mine being a double, and sort of 'petal bound'

The bush is about 2 feet tall, and barrel shaped, but is on a grow back from the roots, so this is all this seasons growth.

Comment (1)

• beachbarbie
    16 years ago

Is your hibiscus in the ground? If so, considering you're in zone 8, you most likely have a Rose of Sharon, (Hibiscus syriacus).
    If it's in a pot, it could be either. Miniature tropical hibiscus (Hibiscus rosa-sinensis) blooms are defined as: "Miniatures Section - single or double bloom which is under 5 inches and out of seedling class".
    I'm on the International Hibiscus Society's listserv; they have online contests for hibiscus blooms/photos and that's where I found this definition.
    Barb

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!