Return to the Hibiscus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tropical hibiscus yellowing

Posted by Cmoores1 Surrey, BC (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 15, 14 at 10:42

Hi there,
This post is for my mother.

She can't figure out her problem, severe yellowing of the leaves. Also curling of the leaves.

This was purchased at home Depot, and she re potted it when she bought it.
Gets watered about once a week.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tropical hibiscus yellowing

Whole plant

o

This is what it looks like now with a bloom.

o

sometimes the leaves curl from heat. and only wateirng once a week, does it retain that much water? also the plants can go into shock when they are repotted sometimes...give it a little TLC, fertilizer and see what it does.

o

I have 2 tropical Hibiscus and they are blooming wonderfully but like above my leaves ate turning yellow at the bottom, I am sure it is due to the extreme heat here in Fl. I am giving them a little more water at night, But I have another problem that i have had with Hardy Hibs, there is a white substance on the entire plant, it looks like plant mites and I have used the soap water mix on one plant , i put it on the plant at night, and it seemed to clear it up, but it is back again, Is there such a thing called plant mites and what can i do,I do not want to use pesticides, I am trying to grow these plants to use for Tea.

o

sounds like spider mites. if they are potted you might try the hot bath trick. I believe its mentioned in the Hidden Valley Hibiscus website.

o

Thanks. She is going to try watering it more. Maybe twice a week and see how it goes.
I also forgot to mention that she has lava rich in the bottom for drainage. Could this affect it at all?

o

Not lava rich. Lava rocks.

o

hibiscus tend to take a lot of water in any sort of heat, so if your area is getting decent heat, then it needs a good amount of water, especially if its flowing through and not sitting in a container that catches the water. you just want to check that the soil isn't staying too wet between watering. right now mine need to be watered everyday and if it gets really hot twice a day. but increase slowly to see what yours needs.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hibiscus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here