Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
northspruce

Help with understock

northspruce
18 years ago

I don't know much about hibiscus and I bought a nice tropical grafted one with huge orange flowers in a pot in the spring. I think you would call it a standard because it's got a trunk and you could see the graft unions where the graft was made at the top of the trunk.

Anyway, it got stressed by a cold draft and died quickly of spider mites, but then I noticed the understock was growing leaves of its own. I know it's not the same as the grafted one because the leaves are different. The new growth is doing well and I am now wondering what it will be. Is there a particular hibiscus that is commonly used as understock? Will it flower? Thanks for any advice.

Comments (3)

• minibim
    18 years ago

One of the most common is a garden variety called "Pride of Hankins" which has a double pink bloom. If you could track down the wholesale source of the Hibiscus, you can contact the grower and ask what they use.

• northspruce
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you minibim, I was just interested to know if there was a common one. I will wait patiently for it to grow up and bloom. The new foliage seems very healthy and quick-growing.

• bruggirl100
    18 years ago

"Pride of Hankins" is a very popular tree type hibiscus. I like it a lot myself.