Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pelicanhead

Climbing hibiscus

C Schaffner
15 years ago

Good morning. I have a climbing hibiscus that has just bloomed. I got it last spring. It died back to the ground and I thought I had lost it. But this spring it put out new growth and 2 blooms. Is the die back normal? I have many bushes that don't die back. I am in zone 10a, so it rarely freezes.

{{gwi:895302}}

Comments (3)

• gansn
    15 years ago

I don't know what you mean when you say climbing hibiscus. Was that on the label? Your picture looks like a hardy hibiscus. I've seen them called Lunas on this forum. If that is what it is, then die back is normal in Zone 7, so I'd guess that it is in zone 10 as well. I think it needs a dormancy period to bloom well again.

Glenda

• C Schaffner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I looked up hardy hibiscus and that sounds like what I have. I may have gotten mixed up with the climbing hydrangia I got at the same time. No wonder I couldn't find any info on climbing hibiscus. :) Thanks so much for the information.

• gansn
    15 years ago

You're very welcome. Each year your hardy hibiscus will have more shoots from the root, and more shoots means more blooms. My hardy pink is now about 5 feet tall and 6 feet wide. I think it's about 10 years old.

Sponsored