Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluecat27

stem of bud cracking and falling off

bluecat27
16 years ago

I have several tropical hibs indoors that are cracking on the stem of the bud just where it starts to get thicker and falling off before the flower blooms. Has anyone else had this problem?

I fertilize with hib fertilizer and I have rocks underneith the hibs that I keep water in for humidity without letting the plant sit in water.

Comments (3)

• hitexplanter
    16 years ago

I guess my biggest question is how much direct sunlight do these hibs get indoors. They really do so much better if they get 4 hours min up to 8 depending on time of year and location on the planet. Over watering and under water can cause this. I have it happen on and off and don't worry about too much unless it is happening regularly then I look to water, sunlight, nutrients in that order to help me decide the next step. Give more info and maybe I can offer more useful help. Good Luck and Happy Growing David

• bluecat27
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I would say they get 2 to 4 hours of sun a day. I have some plants at home and at work and they are all doing the same thing concerning stems except one. I did have a bud go to full bloom on that plant which is at my home.

I was told to water every day and fertilize once a week which I haven't been doing. I have been letting them dry out a little before watering each time. I use Hidden Valley potting mix and fertilizer on them. I have rocks under them with a little water for humidity since it is dry here. I do not let them stand in the water and I keep them by sunny windows.

I can put some of them outside in the evening in direct sunlight if that would help. The afternoons have been into the mid to high 90s here in Eastern Washington state and it is a dry heat.

Thanks for your reply.

• hitexplanter
    16 years ago

I would think more sun would be better but you need to acclimate them to it just like you would if you haven't exposed skin to sun. Build up the tolerance a little at a time. I keep my hibs outside in 90-100 degrees all summer long although I block the hottest part of the late afternoon. They get 6 to 8 hours if the sun is out. Early this summer it was raining so much and cloudy so much I started to have problems such as you are describing, now that the sun and heat are back I am loosing a few leaves but the buds are starting to come back and flower again.
    Hope this help you some. The only time I give mine 2 to 4 hours (inside) is in the winter with an eastern exposure from November through mid March.
    Happy Growing David