Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
patris_gw

Here's another one for ID Please

Patris
17 years ago

Most of the stems on this beauty are dark red. Would appreciate finding a name for her.

Thanks

Patris

Comments (11)

• gardeniarose
    17 years ago

White Dainty?

• Patris
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The petals are the same shape and texture, but mine does have the deep dark red center.
    Thanks for trying.

Is there a site where they have pictures of species and hybrids? I've looked but found nothing yet.
    Patris

• gardeniarose
    17 years ago

I thought White Dainty has a red center. Is this a tropical hibiscus? There are lots of hibiscus sites on the web. Try a google search on "white hibiscus." Something about it reminds me of a rose of sharon. But if it is tropical, then that is wrong. Where did you get this plant from?

• Patris
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sister-in-law gave me a cutting from her bush and it is just beautiful. I did a search for the White Dainty and the pictures show it being all white even the throat area.
    Patris

• rjj1
    17 years ago

Dainty white is a small tropical bloom. I'm not sure yours is tropical. Is it?
    {{gwi:895440}}
    randy

• Patris
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Randy, sorry to say I don't have a clue what makes one tropical!! Give me a definition and I'll tell you if it is or not.

• rjj1
    17 years ago

One difference that may be the easiest to recognize is the leaf. A healthy tropical plant has a dark green glossy leaf that reflects the sun. Other types of hibiscus don't.

Look at the picture of Dainty White posted above. It was taken in the late afternoon in full shade. Notice how light is reflecting off the leaf in even low light conditions.

I don't see that in your photo even though it looks like the bloom is in sun because of the shadows on the left side of the lower petals of the bloom.

randy

• Patris
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I would say this one is tropical Randy. Thanks for the info. Guess the search continues for a name.
    Patris

• gardeniarose
    17 years ago

I think you have Hibiscus syriacus (Rose of Sharon). It is not tropical. Here is a link.

http://images.google.com/images?q=+rose+of+sharon&hl=en&lr=&sa=X&oi=images&ct=title

• rjj1
    17 years ago

I was pretty sure it was a ROS, but wasn't going to argue with her :-).

randy

• Patris
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Checked out the link gardeniarose and you and Randy are so right. It is a Rose of Sharon, thanks for the help. I just love this flower and wanted to know who she was!

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus